Friday, October 29, 2010

The Other Sisterhood

I'm sort of borrowing some terminology from one of my mommy friends. She's a new mommy (cutie-pie Sam is 6 months old) and has been discovering the wonderfulness of the Mommy Sisterhood as she calls it. That instant connection with other mommies anywhere and everywhere.

Of course, that is something I would kill to share, but it's not my time yet.

But, I've joined another sisterhood. It's about as different but connected to the Mommy Sisterhood as can possibly be.

I'm a member of the TTC or TTGP Sister and, technically, since it has been over a year, the Infertility Sisterhood (though that is one title I'm still reluctant to hold). And I have to say this is a very speical sisterhood.

We are women from all walks of life, all ages, all backgrounds, all across the country and world.

Some of them are women I know in my own life--my mom, my aunt.
I hear of others--friend of a friend, news stories, celebs.
I feel an instant connection with any woman I even hear about having tried for any significant amount of time.

But there is a certain group of women who right now hold a huge space in my heart. Of all places, I have "met" these women on a message board. It seems absolutely crazy to think that a group of complete strangers have almost become some of my best friends when I haven't even met them, spoken to them, and, in many cases, I don't even know their real names

But, we share this experience. This experience that is unique to only the other women who have been through. It doesn't include every woman who has ever wanted to be pregnant or tried because many of these women get pregnant in a timely fashion and move on to the next stage.

No, the women I have met on my message board have been trying and or struggling for some time. We've watched women in our real lives get pregnant during the time we've been trying. We've seen women come and go from our own message board community.

And, though we're left behind, it's brought us together. I can honestly say that I love some of these women to pieces. They were such an incredible source of strength and love when I went through the horrible end of my 12th cycle--the last cycle before starting testing when I really thought it could be it. They have been so encouraging--even if one of them keeps telling me to get off the board (but, that's why I love my girl Saucy). We can talk about talk about things away from the board that we'd never say to the group as a whole.

Some days it's so hard to find any positives (pun absolutely intended) to this situation we find ourselves in, but then I see a "<3 you" or an email or post encouraging us to compliment each other and my day is instanly improved.

So, while this is a Sisterhood I never wanted to be a part of and I hope we all move on from where we are very soon, I am so unspeakably grateful for these beautiful, sweet, thoughtful, witty women who I am very proud to call my friends.

Because I know many of you are reading, I love you all for being you and pray for each of you every day. Thank you for being you!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

This made me cry! <3 you!