Sunday, October 17, 2010

"I'm the only one without kids."

No, that didn't come from me. That came from the hubby.

And it breaks my heart. Every damn time.

We went to a get-together today with some the hubby's friends from childhood--these guys literally grew up together. All in their late 30s now. All of them with kiddos, mostly 10 and under. Many of the kiddos were there, including our super cute god-daughter. And others were shown in pictures by their proud daddies.

It was the pictures that got the comments out of the hubby.

I can't blame him for saying. But it wasn't exactly a great thing to hear sitting here on CD1 of Cycle 14. I already felt like cow from the bloating. And then there is the lovely skin breakouts going on all over the face. Topped by the fact that I felt there were knives being stabbed into my uterus from all the awesome cramping. And I felt like throwing up.

That's starting to be the harder part of trying. The longer we try, the more invested the hubby gets. At first he was on board with trying, but in a oh-great-it'll-happen-one-day kind of way. Now, he gets so hopeful everytime. He still tries to say it's no big deal, but he's all about positive thinking, so he looks at all symptoms as meaning that surely I'm pregnant.

And then I have to tell him that I know for sure I'm not. We've failed yet again.

And then we have to spend a weekend seeing our nieces and nephew (3 and under) and our god-daughter and the kids of other friends.

And we're reminded again and again that it's not us.

At least we didn't get asked about kids. I'm not sure how we got out of that, but I'm really glad. I don't know that I could have handled it today. Just not today. (Secretly, I wonder if I didn't look pregnant or if people weren't wondering. When I'm that bloated, I actually do look  like I have a baby bump and couple that with the fact that I wore an empire waisted top. And I'm sure I looked sick because I felt it. But, I'm also sure people don't pay that much attention to me.)

But, yes, hubby, you are about the only one without kids. I'm sorry.

It'll be our turn soon. And you're going to be the best, most doting daddy around.

No comments: