Friday, October 1, 2010

Catching Up: Part 1, In the Beginning

Just in case anybody does actually read this and so as to have a record of how I got here, it's time to play catch up on my background.

First, I am going to not call my husband by his name. He will be known as "the hubby." If you read my other blogs, you know his name, but due to the more personal nature of this blog, we'll try to go a little anonymous.

So, stats. I am 32, 33 in December. The hubby is 37, 38 in November. In October, we will celebrate 2 years of marriage and 9 years of "putting up with each other." Summer 2009, we finally got on the same page about being ready to have kids (more on that history later, I'm sure).

We discussed and decided I would talk to my doctor in August at my annual about going off the birth control pills as well as my migraine prevention meds (can't take those while pregnant and have to slowly wean off of them) and anything else we needed to discuss before trying to conceive. My appointment ended up getting moved up by about a month because I found lump in my breast that I wanted checked out. Fortunately, that turned out to be nothing and the doctor gave me the go-ahead to start trying whenever we were ready.

The hubby, I think, got a little freaked by the propect of it actually happening right then, so we decided to wait for our original start date and finish out my presription of birth control and let me get myself off the migraine meds. So, Labor Day weekend 2009, I started my last BC pill pack and started taking myself off the migraine meds. So, by the end of September 2009, we were offically trying to conceive.

I decided that we'd take the relax and have fun approach. I didn't want to freak out the hubby and even though I had concerns that we might have trouble, people around me were easily getting pregnant left and right, so I was optimistic. That lasted all of two cycles.

By December, Cycle 3, I was ready to try ovulation predictor kits. I didn't really think they were that necessary as I had very regular cycles coming off BC and considered myself very lucky. So, we used those for a few cycles and they seemed to confirm what I thought about when I ovulated. But, we still were not getting pregnant and with each passing month, I was getting less and less hopeful.

When we started Cycle 6, I informed the hubby that if we were not pregnant at the end of it, I was going to start charting my temperature to see if I was, in fact, ovulating and to see if we couldn't help out our timing. Once again, we were not pregnant. Once again, I was devasated. But, now I had a plan. Charting it was.

No comments: