Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Great Debate: to Pee or Not to Pee

So, there is this great debate in the TTC world about when to POAS (pee on a stick, for future reference).

Do you start testing the first day you could possibly get a positive, usually 10DPO? Or do you wait until your period is actually late, usually 14DPO or later?

I am strictly on the side of waiting it out. Seeing a BFN (big fat negative), for me, is too crushing, even when it is early. And my body does a pretty good job of letting me know that I'm not pregnant each month, even before my period actually starts.

In the beginning, I tested a lot. I can't even think about how much money I wasted testing at various times, even when it was quite obvious my period would be starting any minute.

Then I started charting. And paying closer attention to my body. I know that my temps stay high until around 11DPO or 12DPO. Then they either plummet or slowly begin to drop. I know that my boobs can start to hurt or be a little tender anytime starting at 1DPO. I know that I have random cramping throughout the 2ww (two week wait--time between ovulation and period). I know that I can be irritable. I cry. My skin breaks out. I bloat. I even get gas. To many these are phantom symptoms. After so many months, I came to realize that these are just my PMS symptoms. When they happen every month, almost exactly the same, clearly, they are my normal PMS symptoms.

So, I'm a waiter and watcher. I have only POAS once (well, one cycle; two tests) in probably 8 months. That was Cycle 12, so coming to the year mark, and I was a little anxious. And that was the month my body decided to play tricks on me and actually give me my longest LP and cycle to date.

Now, here I sit and 8DPO. And I'm contemplating POAS this coming Thursday--10DPO.

Why would I break my cardinal rule? It's the hubby's birthday.

I have up on thinking about what finding we are pregnant in a certain month would coincide with. Or when our phantom EDD (estimated delivery date). That stopped being fun after awhile.

But, for some reason, I just feel like doing it this time. Maybe because I feel like we could use something really happy like that right now. And maybe because I really don't think I am, so in the back of my mind, I'm hoping maybe I'm wrong. And because I'm really not feeling this cycle and because it would be early, I just do not feel like I would be disappointed in the slightest if it is a BFN. And I certainly wouldn't tell the hubby unless it is a positive.

So, the great debate is going on in my head right now. I don't know what I'll do. If anything, I will buy one Dollar Tree test and that's it. If negative, no more testing unless I'm late.

Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

Bethany Jayne said...

Good luck in the morning! It is early, but I've got my fingers crossed for you. I'm sure I'll be pretty out of it, but I'll be looking for a text from you. <3!