Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Because my previous post was negative and I don't want to leave that out here, I'm going to go ahead and take the time to write this out.

A few of my fellow blog friends do a "Thankful Thursday" post; it's also something we frequently do on The Bump boards to remind us that we have many things and people to be thankful in spite of how we sometimes feel.

Of course, I could name so many. Usually, I like to steer away from The Hubby because there is never any doubt that I am thankful for him (despite any bitching and nagging) every second of every day.

The thing I am so thankful and grateful for right now has been something I've always had but it's something you don't always recognize the importance of until you are in a situation when you need it.

Friendship.

I've never been the person with a lot of friends. Really, I've gone through muliple periods in my life where I've had virtually no friends at all. But, I've also gone through periods in my life where I've had great, true friendships.

I am very thankful that this period of my life is one of the latters.

And the really awesome thing is that my friends come from so many places.

When it became clear that we were truly struggling to get pregnant, I turned very strongly to The Bump message boards. I needed to talk to people who were going through the same things and could understand my feelings and frustrations.

This has led me to some amazing women who I am so proud to call my friends even though I've never even met them in person. But, they know where I'm coming from and understand when all I have are negative and hopeless feelings. We can answer each others' questions and give advice.

I am so thankful for these friendships because they have really pulled, and continue to pull, me through this journey.

But, the reason I turned to these friends was because I felt as though my real life friends, though they knew what was going on, could not understand or didn't want to hear or know about what was happening with me. There was nothing they ever said or did to make me feel that way, this was just my perception of the situation. I felt like because they couldn't relate, they didn't want to or know how to talk to me about these things. And I also felt like I didn't want to depress them with my struggles or make them feel sorry for me or even just bore them.

This was incredibly unfair of me.

Fortunately, these friends did not realize what I was doing or, if they did, chose to look past it and forgive me.

And surprise me.

I don't really know why it would surprise me at all. This is not the first "crisis" situation I've been in, but this was different. But, they've been right there for me.

All I ever had to do was let them in. They may not truly understand, but they can still offer support.

And that's the most important thing. I don't need words of encouragement. But, I need them to acknowledge what is happening with me. That makes me feel better than anything.

That they see I'm having a tough time and let me vent, even if what I'm venting about is absurd.

That they ask where I am in the process or ask questions about things they don't know about.

That they don't pity me when I'm wallowing in self-pity and have to take days off work because I can't deal with being around people.

That they ask about doctor's appointments.

That they will offer prayers and support and good thoughts.

I am incredibly lucky to have friends like this. So many ladies on the boards talk about the people in their lives, their friends, who only make them feel worse about their situations. I can totally empathize with that as there are people in my life who have not offered quite the same support. But, thankfully, I have others who do.

It's Thankful Thursday, and I'm thankful for my friends. You know who you are and I love all of you more than I could ever say.

No comments: