Sunday, January 2, 2011

Really, Mom? Just really?

My mother is well aware of our efforts TTC.

My mother also knows what those efforts are like--it took her 5 years to have my little brother.

My mother also sometimes says the wrong thing thinking she's just being funny.

We are on a little girls' weekend at my aunt's house with another aunt. Last night she and one aunt were talking about my aunt's niece-in-law (Mom used to work with her; they are friends) who has been trying for a long time, has had an ectopic pregnancy, and gone through rounds of IVF.

Mom says to aunt "How's Alicia?"

Aunt says "Not pregnant."

Me and my bitterself, with drink in hand, interjects "Clearly neither am I."

Mom says, laughing, "Well what is wrong with you too?"

I still can't believe she said it. And she acted like she could not understand why I found the comment inappropriate and hurtful. When I said something, she said she was kidding and that she understood what I was going through.

But she also said her IF was undiagnosed, which I knew, and she got pregnant with one round of Clomid, so I think her view may be skewed.

After this, she proceeds to ask if The Hubby has been tested yet--like why has he not been and it must be him. Asked if he is wearing boxers.

The conversation moved on but I still can't believe she said it.

My aunt who also tried unsuccessfully for many years just looked at me and said "I know what you are going through and it sucks."

Yes, yes it does.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: