Monday, May 2, 2011

So Much Bigger Than Me

I'm not generally a self-absorbed, pay attention to me and my problems kind of person. (At least, I don't think I am; I certainly try not to be.) So, I don't generally feel as though my problems are bigger than other things going on in the world.

But, I will admit to wallowing in my own self pity from time to time.

Days like today, though, make remember that it is so not all about me. That there are things in this world that are some much bigger than me and my problems.

I've shed tears the past few days. Not ever the impending Mother's Day that I will again spend not as a mom (though all the commercials for it don't help) or just plain that I'm not pregnant.

A year ago today The Hubby's best friend's dad passed away after a long illness. We are very close to the family and were with them at the hospital up until a few hours before he died. My heart is just aching for the family today because I know how hard this day is for them. And it is for all of us.

And then there is the death of Osama Bin Laden. The U.S.'s victory over terrorism and the 9/11 attacks. (Disclaimer: I know there is more terrorism in the world, but I feel for the U.S., this is one of the biggest victories we can ever have in, for lack of a better word, avenging the deaths of the people killed on September 11, 2001.) I feel very proud to be an American today that we accomplished what we long ago set out to do. All I can think about it the people in the planes, and in the towers, and in the Pentagon and their families. What must they be feeling today?

I would never compare my journey to become a mom/battle with IF to either of these things. But when you spend so much time focusing on your own negative thoughts and feelings, sometimes it is good to take a step back and realize that there is so much more going on in this world.

No comments: