Saturday, December 31, 2011

One Year Later

I realized after our workout this morning that today marks a year since joined the gym and had our first workout there.

The Hubby and I were certainly no strangers to working out but this was a new experience for both of us.

We started out pretty strong, going after work. But one or both of us often found reasons to skip.

And we really didn't take full advantage of the facility, sticking to cardio on the elliptical or treadmill.

I actually gained weight.

Then we switched to mornings and managed to go consistently for six weeks straight. I started a strength class two days a week and The Hubby started doing weighta on his own.

Not great weight loss, but feeling good.

I will admit to falling off the wagon a bit in May and June during the basketball playoffs. We were staying up to late a couple nights a week, so we weren't consistent. But, we still went a few times a week and watching my Mavs win their firsr Championahip was completely worth it.

So, we started back up, I have to admit some of my drive was gone. I thought I had gotten over my little quirka about how hard to workout at certain times, nut there I was using that excuse again. And The Hubby has started his juice diet and he was walking lated in the evenings with a friend (had to be late due to the insane heat we had last summer), so we weren't consistent again.

And then John died and we only went two or three times in a month. We were just so emotionally drained and not sleeping. We needed that time.

But, again, it killed my motivation.

We started averaging four days a week this Fall. Not great, but at least we did it. I missed two full weeks sick with a chest cold, but worked my way back up.

The week of Christmas, while I was on vacation, I managed six days.

And, then, there was today.

I've had great workouta these past two weeks. BodyPump twice a week, yoga on Wendesday, and really kicking ass on cardio.

But, today, one year after joining he gym, I hit my highest calorie burn. And I couldn't feel my legs. And I actually thought it would feel good to go longer than an hour.

I really hope that I can keep this feeling as I go back to my normal work routine. I want to try for longer workouts, even if I start getting to work later. I want to not slow myself down because I'm worried about some imaginary pregnancy.

But, today, I am happy to feel strong and accomplished.

A far cry from the gal who wouldn't push it on the elliptical a year ago out of unfounded fear.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.2

No comments: