Wednesday, October 17, 2012

35-Week Update

Yeesh! Once again, I had no idea how long it had been.

Oh, so much to update!

I was 26 weeks at the last official update. Now, 35, almost 36 weeks. Holy crap!

The last month and a half in particular have been quite the whirlwind. Lots going on at home, with family, at work, with baby.

Backing up to 29 weeks and what was supposed to have been my 28-week appointment (my doctor was out, so we just pushed out a week) where I had my blood draw for gestational diabetes. Of course, my belly was also measured at this appointment, not for the first time. What was for the first time was being told I was measuring ahead. Turns out, I was measuring 3 weeks ahead. Yes, that's right, THREE!!! So, my doctor ordered a sonogram for my 31-week appointment.

29-week (really, 30) bump. We are fairly certain, based on his movement and a start difference in the appearance of my belly, that Baby Boy had just the day or two before gone from laying across my belly to head down.

So, fast forward another two weeks and we were back for our third sonogram of this pregnancy, which happened to be scheduled for the same day as my work shower.


Have I ever mentioned how much I love the people I work with? (Well, the vast majority of them, anyway.) They threw us such a fun shower and were so incredibly generous.

After the shower, we were on our way to the doctor and to our little man again. I was much more relaxed for this ultrasound than the 20-week anatomy scan, but still anxious, wondering what we were going to see given my measurements. What we saw was a perfectly healthy baby - undeniably still a very much a boy - who has a big head (thanks to Daddy's genes), a little bit of a long torso, a femur bone measuring right on schedule, and Daddy's profile.


Isn't he just the cutest? But, turns out, he's actually measuring right on schedule, though he will be a bit of a bigger baby. So, looks like Mommy is just giving him lots of room. My doctor is not the least bit concerned and has every intention of letting thing progress on their own - both until I go into labor and during labor unless there is just no way I can deliver him on my own. Have I mentioned loving my doctor?

The Hubby had his own work shower at the end of September, so lots more cute stuff stocked up on. And we gave our many coupons and gift cards a workout getting little things we wanted for the nursery before my last shower - yep, that was going to bring the total up to four showers! A little crazy, but I'd yet to have a shower with my family.

So, first weekend of October was Last Baby Shower Weekend. But, first we had a couple of little things to take care of - the hospital tour and Baby Care Basics Class. We loved both and I am so glad we did them. I'd seen much of the maternity wing of the hospital having been present for the birth of our nephew and been through labor with my SIL when our niece was born. I've even visted the NICU there. But, it was good for The Hubby to get a better feel for the place. And the baby care class was great. My goal for attending that class was for The Hubby to get some knowledge and comfort on all things infant/newborn without it all coming from me. A level playing field, if you will. We also go some great reassurance on how are hospital does things during and directly after birth, which coincide with our wishes. Great, great experience.

I don't have any pictures uploaded yet from my family shower, but it was so much fun. Thrown by my mom (now known as Nana) and my aunt. It was just family and some very close friends, and just really nice. (More to come on baby showers.)

So, at this point I was just ready to relax and wait for baby. I still have some things to do - get our bedroom cleaned and organized (and ready for the pack 'n' play), back the hospital bag.

But, then I had more appointments. At my 33/34 week appointment, I was still measuring 2 weeks ahead, so the NP I saw that day said my doctor would probably want yet another sono at 36 or 37 weeks. Well, fine.

At my 35/36 week appointment, my doctor had to leave for a delivery, so I again saw NP. I wasn't really expecting a cervix check at this appointment since I was technically at 35 weeks, but she did one anyway. Turns out I am dilated to 1 cm and 50% effaced. And Baby Boy's head is pretty low.

Now, none of this necessarily freaks me out. I know that means I could go into labor tomorrow or 4 weeks from now. Of course, The Hubby freaked out on me a little bit, but a quick google search calmed him some. I have also been having some Braxton-Hicks if I push myself to hard to do things, so I've just committed to stopping that. I need Baby Boy to stay put!

We will get another ultrasound to just to check his size next week.

I have a few more things to share, but this has gotten good and long and rambling already. I make no promises, but I will try to keep updating over the next few weeks.

No comments: